Chennai District

 

Historical Events at a Glance

   

1639         Madras founded .
                 The English get Madras Patnam  from Ayyapa Naicker.
1640         Francis Day and Cogan landed with 25 Europeans.
                 Foundation laid for Fort St.George.

1668  
       Triplicane annexed to the city.
1678         Foundation laid for St. Mary’s Church in Fort St. George.
1679         St.Mary’s Church Completed.
1688         Madras City Municipal Corporation inaugurated.
1693         Egmore, Purasawalkam and Tondiarpet annexed to the City.


1708         Thiruvottiyur, Nungambakkam, Vyasarpady,
                 Kottivakkam and Sathangadu  - 
                 Five neighbouring Villages annexed;
                 wall built around Black Town.
1711         First Printing Press erected in Madras.
1735         Chintadripet was formed.
1742         Veperi, Perimet, Perambur and Pudupakkam annexed to the city.
1746         The French return Madras to the English;
                 Santhome and Mylapore annexed to the City.


1758         French Commander Lawly siege Madras.
1759         French siege ended.
1767         Hyder Ali’s first invasion.
1768         Chepauk palace built by Nawab of Arcot.
1769         Hyder Ali’s Second invasion.
1777         Veerappillai appointed as First Kotthawal-
                 Hence the name Kotthawal Chavadi.
1783         Fort St. George repaired and attains the present shape.
1784         The First Newspaper –Madras Courier.
1785         First Post Office.
1795         Triplicane Big Mosque-Walajah Mosque built.


1817         Madras Literary Society founded.
1826         Board of Public Instructions founded.
1831         First Commercial Bank –Madras Bank. 
                 First Census in the City Population
39,785.
1832
         Madras Club founded. 
1834         First Survey School inaugurated – 
                 Later developed as Engineering College.
1835         First Medical College –
                 Later became Madras Christian College.
1841         Ice House was built –
                 Ice brought from America through ships was stored here; 
                 Later named as Vivekananda House.
1842         First Light House.
1846         Pachaiappan School; Later Pachaiappa’s College.


1851         Museum formed
1853         Zoo formed.
1855         University Board formed.
1856         First Railway –Royapuram to Arcot.
1857         Madras University founded.
1864-65    Presidency College built.
1868         Attempt to protected water supply.
1873         First Birth Registered.
                 Madras Mail Newspaper founded.
                 Cosmopolitan Club founded.
1874         University Senate house built.
1876-78    Great Famine – Buckingham Canal dug.
1878         The Hindu Newspaper founded.
1882         First Telephone.
1885         Marina Beach Road formed.
1886         Indian National Congress Meet at Madras.
                 Connemera Public Library founded.
1889         High Court Building foundation laid.
1894         First Car –  Mr. A.J. Boag, Director of Parry&Co,
                 drove the Car on City Roads.
1895         First Tram Car.
1899         First Tamil Newspaper-Swadesamitran.


1905         Port Trust formed.
1906         Indian Bank founded.
                 King Institute, Guindy founded.
1914         Water mains and drainage formed.
                 Street lights introduced.
                 Kilpauk water works inaugurated.
                 Endon bombardment-
                 Endon German fighter Vessel bombarded the sea shore
and 
                 disappeared - First World War.
1917         First Aeroplane;
                 Simpson & Co., arranged for the trial flight.
1924         School of Indian Medicine.
1925         Loyola College
                 First Bus Transport.
1930         First Broadcasting Station founded at Ripon Buildings Complex.
1934         First Mayor - Raja Sir. Muthiah Chettiyar
1938         All India Radio formed and 
                 broadcasting from Ripon Buildings ceased.


1942         Second World War - Evacuation of Madras.
1943         Japanese Fighter Plane dropped bombs on City and disappeared.


1946         Mambalam, Saidapet, Govt. Farm, Puliyur, Kodambakkam, 
                 Saligramam, Adayar and Alandur Villages which formed part of 
                 Saidapet Municipality were annexed to the city.
                          

                 Sembiyam, Siruvallur, Peravallur, Small   Sembarambakkam
                 and  Ayanavaram which formed part of Sembium Panchayat 
                 Board  were annexed to the city. 

                 Aminjikarai, Periyakudal, Maduvankarai Villages which formed 
                 part of  Aminjikarai  Panchayat Board were annexed.

                 Part of Velacheri Village belonging to Velacheri Panchayat Board 
                 was also annexed to the city.
  

1947         Indian National Flag Hoisted over Fort. St. George.
1952         Nehru Stadium.
1956         Gandhi Mandap.
1959         Guindy Children’s Park.
1969         World Tamil Congress.
1971         Snake Park.
1972         Madras Metropolitan Development Authority.
1973         Madras Corporation Superceded.
1974         Rajaji Mandap.
                 Madras Television Centre.
1975         Kamaraj Mandap.
                 Valluvar Kottam.


1976         New Light House.
1977         Madras Metropolitan Water supply and Sewage Board 
                 Kanagam, Taramani, Thiruvanmiyur, Velacheri, Kodambakkam,
                 Virugambakkam, Saligramam, Koyambedu, Thirumangalam, 
                 Villivakkam, Errukancheri, Kolathur, Kodungaiyur 
                 Panchayat areas annexed to the City;
                 Madras reaches the present stage.
1983         Zoo shifted to Vandalur.
1988         Periyar Science Park
                 Birla Planetarium.
                 Madras Corporation’s Tri-centenary.
                 Decentralisation of Administration.
                 10 Circles formed.

Back